GIGGLES

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Do you believe in Miracles?

Well, we have been praying for a miracle and the Lord has answered our prayers. Miracle of all miracles, Landon is breathing without the help of a ventelator!!!!!!! Here's the scoop. The Dr.(mirza) was taking it really slow with Landon because he had had him before and also because Landon had been on the ventelator for over eight weeks. For those of you unfamiliar with vents--that's a really long time and kids who are on it for that long have a slim chance of breathing on their own. And, the last time we extebated(take out the tube), was probably the hardest day of my life. It's not an easy thing to see your son struggle so hard to stay alive. Sad, it was on Serge's birthday too.
Well, so Landon was at a rate of 10 for about four days(which is very close to doing it on your own). Then the Dr's took him down to 8 for another couple of days. We were informed that Friday, the 24th was going to be his big day. At about nine in the morning they took him down to a rate of 6 and took a gas to see if his CO2 would rise. It was good and so they went ahead and pulled it out. We had to step out of the room for about 15 min. They came and got us and told us that he was doing good. I went in first and Serge stayed with Hayden. Then they let Serge and Hayden come in. Landon was very horse(who wouldn't be with a piece of plastic in your wind pipe for two months), but he was doing good. It was the most beautiful sound in the world to hear him breathe.
That day they gave him a couple of breathing treatments to help the swelling in his throat. He is satting in the high 80's to 90's. Today I heard his little cry and thought I had heard the most beautiful thing in the world. I haven't heard him cry since the 21st of June, when we took him down to surgery. I will never take that for granted.
We still have some hurdles to jump over. Landon still needs to learn how to eat. He wasn't very interested in eating from a bottle today, however, he kept rooting around every time mommy would hold him. That's a good sign. Still no sucking and he has to be evaluated and cleared by speech therapy to make sure he is swallowing properly. However, he has taken to his passifier. Most kids have an aversion to plastic after having a breathing tube in for that long.
Another huge blessing and miracle is that we have been able to hold Landon pretty much whenever we want to. Holding him is such a sweet experience. He is such a great blessing in our lives. We want everyone to know that our prayers have been answered and that we have truly witnessed a modern day miracle. Landon was off all oxygen after the first 30 min. of extebation--a miracle and his breathing is good. He's breathing from his diaphram and not nasal flaring as much. Pretty much the doctors are shocked and highly pleased. I know that the Lord touched Landon and helped him to learn how to breathe.
"Who shall say that Christ did not perform many mighty miracles?"
Thank you all SO much for your prayers!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm crying as I read this!! I'm just so grateful! I love you guys and couldn't be happier for you all!! What a wonderful blessing!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for Landon and all of you! You are all such an example to all of us! We love you! the Hertzlers

rachelsaysso said...

This should teach me to read the blog in public. I'm crying too. Big surprise. I'm SO happy for you all. It is a miracle indeed. Love to all of you.

Tammie said...

Oh words can't express my gratitude for the Lord's many miracles and tender mercies. Especially to ones so deserving of them! Thanks for being so strong! I will always look at my children's crys in a different way now. We will still keep you all in our prayers!

Love you soooooo much! Tam

Laura said...

What an amazing boy you have! I am thrilled to hear he doing so well. We have been following his progress and I can't tell you how happy we are that he doing so well. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers.
With love from Laura, Ryan, Tara and Nathan

Ms. Liz said...

I'm glad I'm in crying company or else I would feel sheepish. YAYAYAY! Oh Sarah - I couldn't be happier for all of you!!! What a beautiful day!

Liz the Poet said...

I cannot be happier reading this! These are definitely tears of joy!! What a miracle!!